Year of Establishment: 1960
Head of the Department: Ramananda Bora
Total no. of approved faculty strength: 03
Faculties of the department:
|Sl. No.||Name||Designation||Year of Joining||Qualification|
|1.||Mr. Ramananda Borah||Associate professor||1988||M.A., M.Phil|
|2.||Mrs. Bandana Gogoi||Assistant Professor||2003||M.A., M.Phil|
|3.||Mr. Homlal Pradhan||Assistant Professor||2011||M.A., M.Phil|
|4||Mrs. Monalisa Bormudoi||Assistant Professor||2017||M.A.|
Brief introduction to the department:
At the time of the establishment of Biswanath College in 1960 the faculty of History was also introduced in the college along with other arts subjects. Its founder faculty member was Late Bhuban Chandra Chutia, who later on became the principal of this college. Under the guidance of the dedicated faculty members, the department of history made rapid progress in academic front. With passing years, the History department has been able to established itself as one of the reputed departments among the colleges under Gauhati University. Many prominent personalities were produced by the department who thrived in life and contributed to the greater uplift of the academic atmosphere of the society. It may be mentioned that many ex-students of the department served as Principals in various colleges of Assam. Even one of our ex-students became Registrar of Sankardev University of Nagaon district of Assam. In addition to this, the history department also started Post Graduate course way back in 1995 permission for which was accorded by the University. With encouraging enrolments in the first batch with 40 students, the PG course was continued up to 2000. We have also departmental library from where the students can get books they require. It is a matter of pride for the department that one of its students, Miss Ritu Kalita, secured first-class second position in B. A. (Major) final examination under Gauhati University in 2018.
Teaching methods adopted for effective learning:
1. Department of history uses varied methodologies in classroom teachings
2. Conventional class methods using green board, Maps, lectures, Class notes, Assignments, Class tests conducted after completion of each and every unit.
3. To eliminate weaknesses and deficiencies of our students and to create interest in various historical topics we adopt several techniques and practices such as field studies, display of videos, films, and pictures relevant to the subject.
4. Departmental and inter-departmental Seminar, Group Discussion, Debate, Technology assisted teaching such as Google classroom and internet supported teaching.
5. Creative approaches in teachings, example: showing opium war, Suez canal crisis, Tools related to stone age, precious stones of Bronze age, photos and pictures, films and videos etc., relevant to subjects so that the students can have live experiences in their learning.
6. Students centric methods like participative and problem solving methodologies are used for enhancing learning experiences etc.,
7. Students are involved in variety of co-curricular activities like Planting and gardening, preparation of wall-magazine, Poetry recitation, taking part in cultural procession etc.,
8. Special care had been taken during lock down period: Regular online classes, sessional exams conducted through online mode, Conducting webinar, students were oriented how to prevent pandemic.
Few accomplished projects undertaken by students at UG level:
1. A project work on History of Five Temples in Sonitpur District, Assam
2. A Project work on Social, Cultural History of Tea-Tribes in Sonitpur District, Assam
3. Role and Participation of Sarojini Naidu in the Freedom Struggle of India
4. A Project Work on History and architecture of Fatehpur Sikri
5. A project work on Social, Cultural History of Nepali Community of Sonitpur District Under Baghmari Block, assam
6. A Project work on the Social-Cultural aspect of the Karbis of Sonitpur District
7. Captain Welsh Expedition to Assam and his Report
8. A project Work on Coins of the Indo-Greek
9. A Glimpse of Washington Conference
10. A Project on History of Japanese Constitution
11. A Project Work on Orunodoi
12. Role of Dr. Ho-Chi-Minh in Vietnam
Prominent alumni of the department:
1. Mehtabuddin Ahmed, Ex-Principal, Biswanath College
2. Mrinal Kr. Borah, Ex-Principal, Biswanath College and Registrar of Sankardev University
3. Subhas Sarmah, Vice-Principal, Tezpur College
4. Devi Charan Gautam, Associate Professor and H.O.D., Tezpur College
5. Ram Prasad Powrel, Associate Professor and H.O.D., Nowgaon College
6. Late Towa Kataki, Principal, Swalkuchi College, Barpeta
7. Anjan Mahanta, Associate Professor and H.O.D.,Rangapara College
8. Bidyut Sarma, Head Master, Satsang High School
9. Bishut Chutia, Associate Professor and H.O.D., L.T.K. College, Lakhimpur
10. Ramananda Bora, Associate Professor and H.O.D.,Biswanath College
11. Ritu Kalita, B.A. First class second, GU, M.A.
12. Pankaj Neog, B.A., Biswanath College, Department topper.